According to the 2017 remodeling impact report by the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI), bathroom upgrades increase the home’s resale value and appeal. It also has a joy score of 9.60 out of 10. However, it is essential to know that not all bathroom upgrades can increase your home’s value.
Some people believe that expensive upgrades lead to a surge in value. But that is not always true. . As Bigham & Associates Company explains, some upgrades may be inexpensive, but they offer a massive boost to your home’s value. On the other hand, costly upgrades do not guarantee that your home’s value will increase. It would be best to choose the appropriate bathroom features to improve. Doing so will allow you to achieve your goal. How you handle your bathroom remodeling will determine how much value the upgrade will add to your property. Upgrades that boost the appeal and function of the bathroom will increase your home’s value.
Below are some bathroom remodeling you may consider.
⦁ Upgrade the plumbing fixtures – The bathroom has many plumbing fixtures. Once you enter the bathroom, you immediately see these fixtures. People notice plumbing fixtures because of their shiny appearance. The high visibility of plumbing fixtures makes it a valuable upgrade. You will need an upgrade, especially when experiencing clogs or leaks. Plumbing fixtures are inexpensive and do not take time to install. Surveys show that this upgrade has beneficial effects on the home’s value.
Repaint your bathroom -The walls of your bathroom surround, envelop, and offer a background to every feature in the space. For this reason, the wall’s appearance has a tremendous impact on the bathroom’s appeal. It would be best to repaint your bathroom with colors that make it appear spacious and bright. The color you choose should be one that will complement other components of the bathroom like the floor, plumbing fixtures, appliances, and cabinets.
Upgrade the vanity area -The vanity area is another central feature in the bathroom. It attracts the attention of bathroom users. For that reason, it would be best to make targeted changes around the area. We recommend that you replace your old sink with modern double sinks. Choose attractive faucets that will grab the attention and boost the bathroom’s appearance. Replace the backsplash and countertop. If your mirror is outdated, you can replace it with a newer mirror that has in-built lighting. Focus on boosting the functionality and appearance of your vanity area.
- Add extra storage – Bathroom spaces are mostly small. As a result, they have limited storage capacity. Most everyone requires extra storage space, especially in the bathroom. You can make this upgrade without spending too much. Adding an extra storage space will require creativity. You may consider the following ideas:
- Wall cabinets that serve as organizers, wall hooks, and mirrors.
- Floating shelves on empty wall spaces.
- Shelves above the bathroom doors.
- Tall and narrow cabinets.
- Freestanding storage with wheels.
- Replace the old shower and tub – Do you have a large tub in your bathroom? You may consider replacing it with a modern and smaller tub. Installing a freestanding tub will create more impact and consume less space. You can also replace your old shower with a modern one. If you want to add more value, we advise that you install a walk-in shower with a glass enclosure. Irrespective of your bathroom’s size, you can get the appropriate one that will not consume space. Go for a rainfall showerhead that has multiple flow settings. This shower adds more value to your home. Installing a modern showerhead, glass enclosure, and freestanding tub is functional. Modern, and offers a minimalist appeal.
- Upgrade the lighting – Your bathroom’s lighting has a tremendous impact on its appearance. With poor lighting, your upgrades will not stand out, and you will not obtain the desired effect. We recommend that you provide adequate lighting at the necessary locations. Ensure that you have enough natural light. Provide mood lighting and in-shower lighting. The vanity needs adequate light. We recommend that you go for LED bulbs to conserve energy.
- Install energy-saving features – Recently, most people want an eco-friendly environment. It would be best to make upgrades that support this. Homes with eco-friendly features have more value. You can install energy-saving bulbs, low-flow toilets, showers, and faucets.
- Upgrade the cabinet – The cabinet is also a prominent feature in the bathroom. It is advisable to make the cabinets attractive. If the cabinets are still in good shape, you can reface them. However, a replacement is necessary for those in terrible conditions.
The Bottom Line
The national average return on investment for bathroom upgrades is 72.7%. However, poor bathroom remodeling will not offer this ROI. If you want to increase your home’s value, you should hire professionals who can perform decent work.
This article was written by Neal Boyd, a writer for Bigham & Associates, a professional property management firm based in Texas.